So Mat Honan got his photos back, presumably scrubbed of filenames (you have no idea how annoying that is - at least Windows might give you back the 8.3 filenames if you’re using some older FAT partition), and furthermore here were two things that he glossed over in the end that serve my conspiracy theories about Apple (and how the tech press aims to cheerlead for them rather than cover them objectively):
* He enabled “remote wipe” functionality on a data-critical device that was not set up for continuous backup. So, I guess the plan was, if the laptop was ever stolen, you were just going to hit the nuke button and say, “Fuck it” and start from scratch. Great plan.
* Nowhere in any of his writing does he mention how to streamline home backups or how to use 3rd-party secure online backup services. Those things would have addressed the problem I mentioned above. Thus, he’s not backing up anything now?
Either the guy is a colossal idiot or we’re not getting the whole story here.
BTW I use Crashplan. It works.
- poldberg likes this
- hugeinjapan said: Which Crashplan service level are you using?
- teresatothemax said: colossal idiot, i’m guessing.
- teresatothemax likes this
- semperidem said: Sorry, BV, but isn’t the idea of remote wipe to keep your DATA out of the hands of the people who just robbed you of your device? Like, your financial records, etc?
- gokngo reblogged this from brianvan and added:
- brianvan posted this